The Brazilian President, Jair Bolsonaro, defended today the head of the Special Secretariat for Social Communication (Secom, organ of the Presidency), Fabio Wajngarten, accused of alleged irregularities in contracts, guaranteeing that he will keep him in office.
“From what I've seen so far, everything is cool with Fabio. Will continue. He is an excellent professional, ”said the head of state to the press outside the Palácio da Alvorada, his official residence in Brasilia.
For Jair Bolsonaro, if Fabio Wajngarten were as incompetent as others out there, "no one would be criticizing him."
A report in the Folha de S.Paulo newspaper revealed on Wednesday that the head of Secom receives, through a company of which he is a partner, money from television stations and advertising agencies hired by the agency itself, ministries and state companies from the Government.
According to the Brazilian newspaper, the legislation in force in the South American country prohibits members of the executive from doing business with people or companies that may be affected by their decisions.
“The practice implies a conflict of interest and can constitute an act of administrative improbity, demonstrating the undue benefit. Among the penalties foreseen is the dismissal of the public agent ”, explains Folha.
According to the continuation of this report, published today, Folha also indicates that the public agenda and official travel reports made by Fabio Wajngarten show that, since taking office in April, he has had at least 67 meetings with customer representatives and former clients of your company FW Comunicação.
Also according to the records to which the newspaper had access, 20 trips to part of these meetings were funded with public money.
Secom is the body of the Presidency of Brazil responsible for providing funds and managing advertising contracts signed by the Federal Government.
In addition to Bolsonaro, the minister of the Government Secretariat, Luiz Eduardo Ramos, responsible for the portfolio that integrates Secom, defended Fabio Wajngarten against the accusations.
“Folha de S. Paulo's article about Secretary Fabio Wajngarten is one of those evils that are done against public men. Fabio is a serious, honest and dedicated man to the Government, to the country. I trust his work ”, wrote the governor on the social network Twitter.
In his defense, Fabio Wajngarten used the same social network to say that the Brazilian newspaper used him as a “scapegoat”, guaranteeing that all the contracts in question were signed before obtaining the position at Secom.
The newspaper Folha de S.Paulo has been the target of frequent criticism from the current government, which accuses it of trying to harm the executive.
This morning, journalists from that Brazilian newspaper tried to question Bolsonaro about the Secom secretary's case, but the head of state refused to answer, ordering the professionals to keep quiet.
“Outside Folha de S.Paulo, you don't have the moral to ask (…). Shut up, ”said the President of Brazil, quoted by the newspaper itself.
In the course of the revelations about Wajngarten's conduct as holder of a presidential body, the Socialism and Freedom Party (PSOL) today issued a request for the granting of a provisional court order authorizing the annulment of the appointment of the current secretary to the post of head of the organization. Secom, as well as Deputy Secretary of Social Communication, Samy Liberman.
“Mr. Fabio Wajngarten attacked constitutional principles (…). As a political agent, he should watch over the smooth running of the institutions and never have acted for his own benefit, ”says the document, which also calls for the annulment of all his acts as a secretary.
. (tagsToTranslate) conflict